View post (what is a good electric guitar under 300$)

View thread

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/08/2009 12:45 pm
If you can, try a couple of styles before you buy and spend as much time as you can with each one. Specifically knob location & bridge/saddle style. Regardless of what you buy, the style of the guitar can really make or break your experience. Doesn't matter if it has smooth and buttery action with tone that mocks the devil, if the knobs are in your way, or the bridge/saddle is uncomfortable, or the sound just does not fit your style, you are going to be acutely aware of these things every time you play.

As I have previously posted, I purchased a Squier to save wear on my Gibson, and I just love playing the guitar. Extremely comfortable neck, great action (I got really lucky on this deal), and I love that single coil sound when I am in the mood. However, Fender could not have designed a guitar with the knobs more in the fricken way! I will be modding it to a single master tone so I can move that offending knob. (I would even do this with a "real" Strat if I ever bought one, too. It's that bad for me.)

Anyway, this made me look at guitar design in a whole new light. While that knob might not be a problem for a lot of people (obviously there are a lot of Fender worshipers around!), for me it eliminated a lot of guitars I might ever consider buying. An awful lot of them have a volume knob right up under the bridge pick up. I basically need my controls behind the saddle, so on my next GAS attack, I got an Epiphone LP style. Although I still prefer the Strat-style neck in some ways, the Epi is way more comfortable at the bridge/saddle and the stupid knobs aren't in the way.

I figured I should impart that observation for you to consider as it was something I never thought of at all until I actually had a couple different styles to play for extended periods. If you have limited funds, you should take everything you can into consideration before committing.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.