View post (Best gear for recordings??)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
06/15/2012 12:49 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter18011 mic for drums is probably going to get you the worst possible recording. It is very hard to record drums. You might be better of using "fake drums". Someone else might be able to give you recommendations on that.

I use ToonTracks Ez Drummer.

I have the standard EZ drummer bas pack plus I've obtained the Americana and the Twisted Kit.

I use these with Garageband. These drums are very real sounding. They are not electronic-y samples but actual recorded drums/patterns. I've very satisfied with the quality of sound.

Thing is, with any 'sampled' drums, they may not be exactly the pattern you might have in your head. That shouldn't stop you, though. Because you can edit the different parts of the kit (ie - snare, high hat, bass etc), you can adjust or remove/add elements as you need. However, it takes patience. It's not as easy as telling a drummer 'No, it's like -boom chukka chukka-...'. If you have patience, you can get what you want.

Another 'down side' of using this type of program with Garageband is that it technically does not support multichannel exporting to Garageband. However, no big deal. Once in Garageband, you can copy/paste a track as many times as you want.

I will make a pattern that I like and then paste out multiple channels of the pattern. Per channel, I will strip out everything but the part that I want (ie - bass drum) and viola, I have multichannel drum mixing. I often layer multiple parts for drums (ie - bass drum has a channel for the 'thump' and a channel for the 'snap').

...and so on.

You have lots of freedom if you are willing to work a little bit.

Here's a simple track I did for a vid but it gives you an idea of the drum sound I got.