spruce vs mahogany top

drronnieb
drronnieb
06/14/2012 10:28 pm
I've been looking at the new Taylor GS mini for my 9yr old daughter to graduate into from her Baby Taylor. (And for me too - but don't tell my wife!) It comes in spruce or mahogany top. The mahogany seems to sound warmer - which I like. I'm wondering if this is a general trend with mahogany? I don't see that many mahogany tops around and I'm wondering why. It sounds so nice on this guitar.
Thanks
# 1
haghj500
haghj500
06/20/2012 2:05 am
Mahogany is spendy and getting to be in short supply.
I like the sound of it better as well.
# 2
Mike_x1x
Mike_x1x
06/22/2012 12:16 pm
Originally Posted by: drronniebI've been looking at the new Taylor GS mini for my 9yr old daughter to graduate into from her Baby Taylor. (And for me too - but don't tell my wife!) It comes in spruce or mahogany top. The mahogany seems to sound warmer - which I like. I'm wondering if this is a general trend with mahogany? I don't see that many mahogany tops around and I'm wondering why. It sounds so nice on this guitar.
Thanks

Hi
Just my opinion but if you like the sound/tone then thats the top/guitar you want.
If it sounds good and plays well then everything else is secondry.
Like HadhJ says Mahogoany is becoming slighty scarce and expensive, so I think other woods will start to become more prevalent.
Sometime a slightly inferior grade of Mahogany is used but, whatever the make or materials, the only important point(for me at least) is does it sound good and is it nice to play.
Nice topic.
Mike
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
06/25/2012 4:55 pm
Mahogany isn't a common tonewood for Taylor tops... Usually they use spruce. You hit the nail on the head when you said it gives a warmer sound. That's about the only difference besides the appearance. Taylors are always known for their bright crisp projection - which is usually associated with spruce tops and maple sides. Martins tend to be on the opposite side of the spectrum with warmer tones - coming from mahogany sides spruce or mahogany tops.

Just depends on the tone you want... a taylor is a taylor.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.