View post (Relearning After 35 Year Break !!)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/09/2012 3:28 am
I did about a week's worth of bouncing around the 'net before I settled on GT. I don't remember what other sites I looked at but I do remember the second and third choices weren't all that close to GT. ;)

I frequently look at other sites but the only one I keep going back to is justinguitar.com . It's free, well structured IMO and Justin is a good guy with a great sense of humor...sorta like a GT instructor but with a British accent. :D The site has given me some good supplemental info.

My first year with GT was spent with a not-so-good guitar from those decades ago. But the last two years has involved *a lot* of actual playing/practicing. I'm a loyal, long term and grateful member.

I do 'have the time' to practice but three 'things' have turned all this into a joyful experience. First, a close friend who lent me a quality instrument and then sold it to me at a really good price. He's a friend and an inspiration. Second, that guitar itself. It's the first 'good' guitar I've had and it can make anyone's playing sound good...even mine. Finally, the style of lessons and the personality of the GT instructors. Between it all I find I *want* to practice.

It's a good feeling.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins