Picking Problem: Fingernail touches adjacent string

midnightbose
midnightbose
12/29/2012 11:42 pm
I've been playing an electric guitar for about 2 - 3 months and noticed that my index fingernail that holds a pick keeps touching the adjacent string when I pluck a string. Especially when I tried to play fast, it happens more often. Any good practice to avoid this and build a good habit of proper picking techniques?

Thanks!
# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/31/2012 4:03 pm
Hi Midnight -

I'm wondering if a different pick might be worth a try.

Some of what you are talking about has to do with the nuances of your hand's angle as it plucks the strings.

But if you've tried to eliminate the problem without success, you might also try experimenting with different styles of picks - something that allows you to hold the pick in such a way that your nail stays out of the way.

Me, I prefer a particular kind of pick that has more of a pointy end, over the standard teardrop shaped pick.

Maybe a little trip to the music store and a couple of dollars worth of picks?

Keep us posted -

Happy New Year!
-Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
midnightbose
midnightbose
01/01/2013 3:33 am
Thank you Lisa!
Yeah. I think the problem is the angle of my right hand and the pick toward the strings. I will try different picks as well.

Thank you again and happy new year~
# 3
Lutz Richter
Lutz Richter
01/02/2013 1:56 am
I think it has mainly to do with the way you hold the pick. Make shure that you don't use "too much of your fingers" to hold it. The index finger should not overlap the pick, or at least not too much.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.