View post (The Whys and Hows of Building a Repertoire)

View thread

maggior
maggior
02/07/2013 9:19 pm
This is an excellent post and describes part of the reason I signed up here. Over the years I've been playing off and on (30 years now!), I've learned maybe 5 songs in their entirety. I know pieces of a LOT though. This always bothered me because I feel my repertroir doesn't describe my ability very well.

This site will help me with this tremendously with the in depth instruction for the songs. Everybody wants to learn the solos. The rhythm is described in detail too - not just the chords that are played. I'm currently going through Life in the Fast Lane and am having a ball.

There is something I'd like to add though. Memorizing how to play songs is great, but memory can fail you and often will at the worst moment. A skill I've seen with seasoned musicians is how to "fake it". I probably read about this someplace too. A friend of mine could fake his way through a solo for a song he was familiar with. As long as he captured the essence of it (the scale being used, rhythmic feel, etc.) it would work. It always amazed me. Another friend's band could do this too.

Learning how to "fake it" takes time and experience. I can only hope one day I'll be able to play at that level. Seeing how GT breaks the songs down and describes not only what is being played but why ("this section uses the Em pentatonic", "this section uses the C Maj pentatonic", etc.), I think I have my best chance of getting there.