View post (Future Of A Guitarist???)

View thread

SPONGENOOB
Full Access
SPONGENOOB
Full Access
10/18/2014 1:28 am
Is it possible? It is if you want it bad enough to MAKE it happen. Assuming someone has the skill (honest evaluation from your critics who you actually listen to and here what they say), it is possible.

But EVERYTHING difficult to attain is difficult for a reason. A little luck (knowing the right people) or getting to know the right people helps, but most if not all of making it in anything is having the skill and then busting your hump. If you are willing to pursue it, when you don't think you can go another step, then you are heading in the right direction. No guarantees, but the saying "Nothing improves your luck as much as hard work" applies. You know the garbage some big time artist put out and you know profoundly talented people who aren't known. Usually the former pushed themselves into their position with tenacious endurance and the later waited/hoped to "get discovered". Getting discovered is rare.

Now imagine you have a widget that is the best widget you have ever seen. Pretend your music business is the widget and now promote "it" like the widget. It requires marketing and getting in front of the right people and never, never, ever, stop.

Look at President Lincoln's resume for some inspiration on never giving up.

Now look back at some of the prior post for specifics you should do; but unless you are astoundingly good and have the determination and patience to work very hard for years you should reconsider this path.

I am not a professional musician, but I am very successful at what I put my passion into and the same principles apply. I was told I couldn't make it, but I knew I had the skills so I would not take no for an answer. I had no choice but to succeed and so I pursued it as if my very life depended on it. That is what it takes. I kept going and I still work circles around my competition 30 years later.

Go for it full tilt or go home. There is no middle ground or easy path. Good "luck" :)