View post (The Seventies: Rock's Classic Age)

View thread

maggior
maggior
06/04/2013 2:08 am
Thanks Wildwoman :-). Now if I could only play like those guys...

What's amazing to me is how this music stands the test of time...and not just with those of us who were alive when it was released.

My daughter is 9 and has typical pre-teen musical taste featuring many flavors-of-the-month and boy bands. She also likes to listen to Led Zeppelin. She is probably the only person on earth that doesn't groan when I play Stairway to heaven. She actually likes it and proudly declares to her friends that she likes the song and daddy can play it :-).

She is just starting to learn guitar supplementing her 3 years of piano, so that may have something to do with it too.

When music appeals to somebody born almost 35 years later, that's some pretty amazing staying power. Ya think in 2045 young kids will be diggin' Justin Beiber or Miley Cyrus? I'm gonna guess not.

In fairness though, the 70's had their fair share of easily forgettable teenie bopper artists - anybody remember Lief Garrett? Sean Cassidy? Eeeeeeh! Must not think too hard and think of any more!! :-). And no, I did NOT own any of these records.