View post (How to come up with great lyrics?)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
11/15/2013 11:21 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorGood analogy. It's hard to describe but it's real. It's also like when you see somebody walking with an attitude - they are just walking, but you can just tell they've got an attitude.

Think about making your guitar growl, cry, scream, wail, etc...like your voice. Bending, rakes, muting, varying your pick attack...these are tools you can use to give your playing attitude. As I learn some more Eagles songs, I'm finding that Joe Walsh is a good example of a player that plays with attitude - he can make his guitar growl like no other. Joe Perry for Aerosmith is another. Joe Bonamassa can get hit attitude on. Not a big GnR fan (I know, that's probably blasphemy to you kasperow :-), but Slash strike me as the type of player who would play with attitude. Watch some vidoes of SRV playing in the early days - it's like a physical assult on his guitar - amazing with tons of attitude! And let's not forget Jimmy Page who would strut with his guitar.

I think I'm starting to understand what you mean. It's how I use the techniques at my disposal and use different amounts of force when picking a string, right?

I know quite a few guitarists, whom I deem to be pretty great, some underrated guitarists are among those. And just because I'm a huge fan of GNR, it doesn't mean I consider it blasphemy to say you're not a huge fan of them :) Everyone has their own taste. Most of the guitarists I listen to the most have some quite different styles, yet they seem pretty combinable. I'll try and check out SRV when I get the chance.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...