View post (How to come up with great lyrics?)

View thread

haghj500
haghj500
08/30/2014 5:44 pm
I guess I do things backwards. Normally I start playing something I like then come up with word to match what I am writing. To help me remember the rhythm I used. Writing down the chords does me no good if I do not have words to help me remember the rhythm I used.

A long time ago I was dating a girl I wanted to impress so I figured out some chords I liked and then put words to them. I played the song for the girl and sang the words. This October well will be married for 34 years.

The words:
1st verse
Won’t you be my baby now, won’t you be my lady, won’t you be my baby now, won’t you be my girl.

Chorus:
Lady of my days, lady of my night, lady of my days, I long to be holding you close tonight, close tonight, close tonight.

Verse 2
Come and fill my arms up girl, I love you all the time, come and fill my arms up girl you drive me out of my, my mind.

Chorus:

The song goes on of course, but the wording was built around the structure of the song. You might give that a try also.

I’m not sure what I would do if someone gave me words and said write a song to fit them. I guess I would come up with something, but it would feel strange.