View post (How to come up with great lyrics?)

View thread

snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
12/30/2017 5:02 pm

I can see how rhyming would seem like an arbitrary pain at times, I know that there are some powerful paths to facillitate song writting in there.

I was a Psych Nurse for 25 years. There is a charicteristic Psych symptom called "Clanging". This is where the person just starts stringing together sounds that sound alike. Meaning is usually lost in the process. It is a symptom of mental illness after all..

I have had some interesting experiences where I hit a wall while writting and got around it by just clanging words together. I then started listing all the Clang words I came up with, and letting the words just roll out in assorted tumbles. Much to my surprise this seems to open my mind to using words in unique ways. It seem this exercise opens my subconcious mind to unique turns of phrase. Here is an example of the unique phrasing it can produce....

"The blind of faith all come to the question "How long can this love still abide?"

and the tears that they find, they all flow from the answer

where reason and heart there collide.

Blossems awash with the tide."

That is not my voice!! I would never speak like that, and that is exactly what made the phrasing so interesting. Like a subliminal sidekick jumping right out into the light of day and dancing an amazing Jig, with a big grin on her face.

It was allmost as if I was having an out of body experience. Over the next hour the song simply wrote itself by clanging words aginst each other until they sorted themselves into a finished piece. It doesn't always work, but when it does... I really enjoy the ride! Maybe it is an indication of inherient mental illness, but if it can help me to write in a deeper, more powerful voice.... I don't really care

I remember being told that George Benard Shaw believed that language evolved from primal sounds that expressed primitive feelings... what he called Err Words. As language grew these Err Words differentiated into ever more specific sounds and meanings. Err Words were the porgenitors of language. This is where rhyming words come from, and using it, is a way to evoke those primal feelings. I could be full of bullshit, but boy it can be a great ride!

Captcha is a total pain in the........