View post (Advanced Soloing)

View thread

TheDirt
TheDirt
05/29/2002 3:15 pm
Let's say I'm soloing over a piece in C Major. The chords are C, Am, F, G - a typical ballad/rock progression. I realized while improvising over this that I kind of think in three modes (which I don't really have names for, but I'll make some up for ease of understanding).

- I have Arpeggio Mode, where I play arpeggios that correspond to each of the chords, maybe spicing them up a bit like a Cmaj7b9, Am9, Fmaj7, and G7b9 with little runs to connect the arpeggios.
- I have Major Scalar Mode, where I just play away with the C Major, Bebop or Major Pentatonic scales.
- And finally Minor Scalar Mode, where I play C Minor Pentatonic or Blues scales.

I usually switch between these modes while improvising, but I realized that if I mix the modes (especially Major/Minor Scalar Modes) I come up with a scale kind of like this...
C, Db, D, Eb, E, F, Gb, G, Ab, A, Bb, B. Now, looking at this, I realize that this is the chromatic scale, so I come to the conclusion (which has taken me two and a half years to reach) that you can play ANY NOTE AT ALL over a chord progression. Now I feel like I've wasted my time learning all those scales and such, but then again, had I not learned those scales and such, I may have never noticed this...

Anyone that has something to add, something to correct me on, or if you want to tell me how you experienced a revelation due to my preaching above, feel free to comment.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster