View post (Rhythm style: Bob Marley - the Yvette Tapes)

View thread

kiman
kiman
11/25/2017 3:25 pm

Hi guys :) I just got into reggae songwriting and right now my songs consists of guitar and lead vocals only. The guitar accompaniment is pretty confined to off-beat chucks, sometimes with muted chucks on the beat, and I'd like to expand into something more dynamic, like what's being played along with the vocals in the Yvette Acoustic Tape (1976) by Bob Marley. I'm trying to mimic the style, but I can't hear what's going on. Probably because of the quality of the tape, but then there's so much going on. Sometimes only basslines, sometimes very strummy, and the strumming pattern keeps changing in ways that seem arbitrary. I bet it's a lot of feeling and experience involved, but do you know of any exercises that could help develop his kind of guitar accompaniment style? Other than the "down, down, down up, down. down up, down up, down, down"-type exercises. [br][br]Also, what style would you say these songs are? I'd say reggae because that's what I associate Bob with, but there's not really any accentuation of the off-beat, no reggae bass or one-drop beat. Then again, it doesn't sound like your typical singer-songwriter.