View post (Elixir vs Ernie Ball strings)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/04/2018 2:17 pm
Originally Posted by: tweetie-bird

Does anyone have an opinion on Elixir polyweb or nanoweb strings? I have been using Ernie Ball strings for years and have been happy with the tone. I do admit that I wish I didn’t have to change them so often ( with consistency I change them every three weeks).

Some one recommended Elixir strings and said they last long. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion? Thanks.

I tried a set of Elixir years ago & did not like how they felt. Just a personal preference. I have not tried their newer styles. I felt like I couldn't really get a grip on the strings because the coating made them too slippery. I wanted at least as much friction as I was used too!

But I've used Ernie Ball for decades & recently tried their Paradigm model. In addition to improved steel contruction it has some kind of coating or treatment that resists corrosion. I can feel a little difference but it's not enough to put me off. And I've had 2 sets on 2 of my Strats for a few MONTHS now! No broken strings & still great tone. It's pretty amazing. They do get dirty as usual, but I just wipe them down & they are good to go. I probably will change them soon because I am starting to see a little corrosion, but this is after months, instead of days or weeks.

Normally I break a high E or D string within a week or couple of days. I used to buy lots of extras of those strings. :) I still use regular Ernie Balls on other guitars, but mostly because I have lots of new sets still in stock! I might just go with Paradigm long term.

This page shows the differences between the various Elixir models.

https://www.elixirstrings.com/support/polyweb-nanoweb-optiweb-coatings

Looks like they are trying to make varying amounts of coating & slickness. I might have to try a set!

Hope this helps. Fun conversation! :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory