View post (Scale to practice for beginner)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
10/27/2018 4:09 am

Eddie you'll get into the major scales initially with Lisa in Fundamentals 2.

Christopher and Anders have superb lessons as well on the major and minor scales, but having just restarted after a nearly 30 year hiatus, unless you're already adept with those fingers I'd suggest/recommend focusing on revising with Fundamentals 1 quickly before working your way through Fundamentals 2. That'll build the dexterity whilst fundamentals put the foundations in place readying you for the Rock, Blues, Country and respective scales for wherever you're intending to go. In the interim, to wet your appetite, you could have a bo peep here where Anders is explaining the relevance, illustrating the origin and demonstrating the minor pentatonic.

Encouraged by my roof solar panel & system installer cum Fender MIM Tele player, when he's not on the roof or installing inverters, who just happened to overhear me playing when I first started, I have been practising the five A minor pentatonic shapes over the neck since early days, but using it as a dexterity and knowledge developing understanding exercise at this juncture whilst I work my way throught the GT courses' progressive structure rather than improvising musically with it, yet.

I could race through the theory which is easy peasy, but without developing the hands on skill which takes time, I'll just end up the 'smartest' worst player. o.O Can't much see the point in that. Adhering to the sage advice of "know thyself", I've found that I like to parallel learn and develop tactile skills as well as understanding found in constantly revealed nuances by playing challenging -to me at this juncture, songs, as I find it fun. The sense of achievement excites and maintains the mojo effortlessly whereas playing scales for their own sake whilst inarguably a necessary part of the curriculum, can be pretty dry.

I'm fairly highly self motivated, but I reckon I'd struggle to want pick up the guitar every day just to play scales even though I could see their purpose and applicability in the future. Gotta' have some fun too.