MY SECOND DAY

CRJARRATT
CRJARRATT
02/24/2019 3:38 am

Well I always wanted to play Guitar. so I finally bought a guitar and teaching my self with Gutar tricks. TO day I WAS getting a strange vibration noise during my C and G notes. took about a Half Hour after checking my fingers on the Frets making sure it wasnt any bleed over from the fleshy part of the finger tips and made sure I was just on the fret wire just righ. Finally found the cause was the button sn my long sleeve shirt was tuching the strings, Silly ME :0)

Also practiced for a couple hours and building up calases pretty good. Trimed my nails on left hand thinking it would help with the bleed over or damping of the next string. for awhile instead of just picking the b string I added the E string to see if I was on the string correctly that helped alot.

Feels like I'm trying to touch my elbow with my fingers and wrist gets pretty tired but believe that will either harden up or I will get use to it and it will go away.

Not discouraged holding the guitar and it wanted to slide off my knee and the nect is so far away that the strings are difficult to reach.

Have to practice getting my finger first nuckle on the had to get more strech. TO night practing my Dr Spoc "Live Long and Prosper" salute :0)

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
02/25/2019 6:51 pm

Hi CRJARRATT,

I've had my shirt create funny noises on guitar as well! Fairly common, so just be sure to roll up your sleeves next time.

Sounds like you're having some trouble holding the guitar. It's important to get in a comfortable position. Keep your elbow in, don't do the "chickenwing!"

Also, i fyou're playing acoustic, it might be a bit easier to sit down, if you're not already sitting.

Your wrists are pretty important, so try not to bend them too much or else you'll risk hurting yourself in the long run.

Be sure to check out Lisa's tutorial on holding a guitar, there are a bunch of great tips in here: https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=21987&s_id=1766

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/26/2019 9:13 pm
Originally Posted by: CRJARRATT

Well I always wanted to play Guitar. so I finally bought a guitar and teaching my self with Gutar tricks. TO day I WAS getting a strange vibration noise during my C and G notes. took about a Half Hour after checking my fingers on the Frets making sure it wasnt any bleed over from the fleshy part of the finger tips and made sure I was just on the fret wire just righ. Finally found the cause was the button sn my long sleeve shirt was tuching the strings, Silly ME :0)

Also practiced for a couple hours and building up calases pretty good. Trimed my nails on left hand thinking it would help with the bleed over or damping of the next string. for awhile instead of just picking the b string I added the E string to see if I was on the string correctly that helped alot.

Feels like I'm trying to touch my elbow with my fingers and wrist gets pretty tired but believe that will either harden up or I will get use to it and it will go away.

Not discouraged holding the guitar and it wanted to slide off my knee and the nect is so far away that the strings are difficult to reach.

Have to practice getting my finger first nuckle on the had to get more strech. TO night practing my Dr Spoc "Live Long and Prosper" salute :0)

You may want to consider playing with a strap even if you're sitting down. I've been doing this since nearly the beginning (1982) and particularly early on, I found it allowed me not to think about how I hold a guitar. Now it's just how I do it but early in my playing, I found that if I just hung the guitar at belly level that it was right for me in terms of ergonomics (everyone's built differently so the length of the strap you'll set is up to your own build). A strap also lets you angle the neck to a place where it is comfortable for you.

Lots of people seem to want to naturally tilt the face of the guitar skyward but that's not very good for playing, this the guitar hanging around your neck.

Food for thought.

Good luck!

# 3
CRJARRATT
CRJARRATT
02/28/2019 2:36 am

thank you good points. I messed up becasue I wanted to learn classical guitar I bought a classical guitar NOTHING to put a strap on. Cant afford at this stage to waste more money for something that might not last out the week.

# 4
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
02/28/2019 4:56 am

thank you good points. I messed up becasue I wanted to learn classical guitar I bought a classical guitar NOTHING to put a strap on. Cant afford at this stage to waste more money for something that might not last out the week.

There is also strap for classical guitar. You put it on your neck, and it goes under the guitar and is attached to the guitar on the edge of the sound hole.

# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/28/2019 7:49 pm

You likely have a strap button on the butt-end of the guitar but no strap button elsewhere. Here's a good solution from Planet Waves. The end with the string loops around the headstock like this. Just wanted to share an option too.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.