how to keep classical gutiar from slipping

CRJARRATT
CRJARRATT
02/25/2019 3:49 am

Guitar is constantly slipping away from me towards my knee. I'm setting streight in the chair with feet flat on floor I also have a foot lift which is place my foot on flat but that also slips and puts more twist on the wrist.

any suggestions?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/25/2019 12:20 pm
Originally Posted by: CRJARRATT

Guitar is constantly slipping away from me towards my knee. I'm setting streight in the chair with feet flat on floor I also have a foot lift which is place my foot on flat but that also slips and puts more twist on the wrist.

any suggestions?

I've seen people use a pad like this made for that purpose.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/oasis-guitar-support-cushion-oh-28-large-15642.html?catargetid=120229430000045032

I've also seen people use smaller non-slip pads like these.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/oasis-grip-strip-guitar-slip-prevention-oh-22-7323.html?catargetid=120229430000045032

If you search the web for guitar non-slip pads there are a bunch of options available. I've seen people even suggest one of those little non-slip pads for car dashboards to help keep your cellphone & wallet in place. I bet you even use a bit of that foam shelf liner!

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
nezih.cakir0704
Full Access
nezih.cakir0704
Full Access
02/28/2019 3:24 am

The best/cheapest option is to buy a roll of Cupboard Liners at Home Depot. They are very light, rubbery material and you can cut them in any size.

# 3
brother_hesekiel
brother_hesekiel
03/02/2019 2:37 pm

I, too, have problems with that when sitting properly on a bar chair (which is what I use). I ended up using a guitar strap, even when sitting down. It is adjusted to hold the guitar in the right position, about a tenth of an inch above my leg, so it's almost like I play standing up, which I do from time to time. Don't know if that will work for you, but it does work for me.

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
03/02/2019 7:58 pm

Different problem I suspect brother_hesekiel.

OP referred specifically to Classical guitar and mentions using a chair and guitar footrest, so in the absence of clarification it would be reasonable to assume he is probably learning that style using Classical positioning convention for holding his guitar? Or not???

As in your case with the bar stool, holding in the more common style I experience the same problem when seated on one of those rotating round seat bar stool with ring footrest type sold in guitar shops emblazoned with various guitar and gear logo brandings. Tried everything. Foot placement and angle when seated on them, but the angle of the thigh inevitably results in the guitar to slipping away, even with a conventional body acoustic. Electric is worse. Might work for someone 6'4" with proportionately long legs, but not for me. I have to use a strap to play on the bar stool.

# 5
emma.setterfield
Full Access
emma.setterfield
Full Access
03/07/2019 5:14 pm

Hi there,

I use one of these because I like to keep both my feet on the floor and it keeps my guitar in position really well. It's quite pricey but there may be cheaper ones on the market.

https://www.londonguitarstudio.com/dynarette-guitar-support-cushion-large.ir

# 6
vishousplays
vishousplays
02/04/2021 10:19 pm

I might be a little late to the party but I did find a great solution. Check out guitagrip.com. This pad is strong and sticks to my guitar. I love it. Hope that helps.

# 7
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
02/16/2021 5:04 pm

Just wanted to chime in here too because I was just going to share a tip that I found worked for myself.

Shelf liner, like Christopher mentioned. It's cheap, you can get practically anywhere, and it comes in all different colors. It's a very inexpensive solution.

I have been using shelf liner underneath my sewing machine foot pedal to keep it from sliding around. Then I saw a tip somewhere about using shelf liner to keep the guitar from slipping off your leg in a Classical position. I tried it and it works so well! I also use a foot stool to get my leg at a proper height and a strap to keep the guitar close to me. One of the authors/guitarists of a book I have highly suggests the classical position for any fingerpicking, which I'm working on now (with my good hand!).

When I can return to playing with my fretting hand also, I plan to stick with the classical position for most everything (hopefully) as it's supposed to be much better on your wrists.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 8
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
02/18/2021 9:56 am

protect your back

hope this link works.

A good article giving a few options to avoid twisting your spine

But he doesn't mention the strap option.

I wasn't impressed with the ergoplay knee support

Dave

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.