View post (How many times should I practice a song?)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
03/14/2019 2:10 pm

It takes a lifetime. I've played some 35 years now, and still learning new things all the time.

Seriously. It is dependent what is the goal you're aiming. For "good enough" campfire style accompaniment using open chords, it will take from a few weeks to some months. We all learn at the different pace. It also affects how much practice time you have. Learning guitar is mostly gaining a muscle memory by constant repedition. Don't overwhelm yourself by trying to advance too hastily, anyway.

[/quote]

Hello! Some really good advice here that I can relate to as a beginner. It can take me a long time. I can usually get simple stuff down reasonably quickly - right now I am learning "Baby Please Don't Go". The 1st and 2cnd parts of the intro I had down in a few hours, and still working on the rest of the intro - but at least I can see myself progressing through repetition. And I should say that I am not into the chord parts yet. Chords will definately take me more time. When I learned "Be My Lover" it didn't take long at all to get the chords down and the rythem because it is such a simple song. I am not as tight or clean on my chord transitions as I want to be but I can still enjoy playing along with the track and while I am doing this I can work on making cleaner chords.

Good luck!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!