View post (Thinking about quitting)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
05/06/2019 3:47 pm

I'll go a different direction; a tale of two guitarists. And there will be an actual point here.

On the left is Ric Ocasek doing a spectacular barre chord. In the right is Django Reinhardt, who physically could not make a barre chord. Ric had really long hands becuase he was really tall and his hands reflected this. Django lost the use of his ring finger and pinky due to a fire. Ric was a solid rhythm player and rarely played leads. Django was a beautifully skilled player with a great sense of melody and mighty good technique.

You might already see the point here but I'll still state it; if you enjoy playing any instrument it might not be a matter of how perfect you can play but if you can find a way to enjoy playing with the abilities you do have.

Ric's physicality probably would have allowed him to play anything he chose. Django could not but what he did play was amazing.

The folks here all made great points and all are very true. I wanted to add that the joy is not the perfection in skills but the music you play.

I clearly don't make a perfect barre chord. I never have. I do them when I need to but I have reasonably average sized hands and barre chords that ring out from top to bottom are not exactly my core strength.

As a matter of fact, barre chords are one of the biggest complaints for most guitar players.

You're joining a long and illustrious list of players. Most don't find it easy unless you have Ric Okasek hands. A whole lotta players cheat. That's why you find a lot of rock players opt for the 'power chord' barre chord. I cheat like heck with that chord. Why not if it works in the context I need it.

If barre chords are killin' ya, move on to something else. Doing a song that uses barre chords? See if you can't get away with using a barre chord.

I can't reiterate enough that it is so much more about enjoying playing and less about perfection. Sure, if you stick with guitar, you'll always want to work on barre chords and over time get better. I've been playing for 35+ years, am pretty good and I, to repeat, don't like barre chords much.

Neither you and I are Ric Ocasek but if Django can find a way, so can I.

Something to think about.