View post (When to start learning to actually play songs ?)

View thread

mathieurevel
mathieurevel
05/15/2019 11:37 am

Hello,

I am to the stage of the beginner journey where I am learning the 5 chords ! I can plain all those 5 chords alone but i m having issues to change chords like D with AM or D with C and C to G. The ones which basically needs to move all fingers !

Anyway my question is, when should you start to learn an acutal song ? I m trying to learn songs like knocking on heaven s door and few other simple ones but I find that I struggle to change some chords correctly following the song rythm, my fingers are trying to move faster than what they actually can and it sounds bad / late etc...

Is it best to keep going through the lessons and manage to perfectly change all 5 chords in all different orders before learning to play any songs or it s not a problem to learn songs while making mistakes at the beginning / lack of rythm etc... hoping that down the line the misplacement will get better and better with time. Not sure if I can get bad habits like that.

A bit hard to only stick to chord changes ! but if it s really necessary i ll do it and forget to learn songs for a while