View post (Do you take liberties (learning new songs)?)

View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
06/20/2019 4:13 am

Kind of a vague question but I'm wondering how other people here go about learning new songs. Do you try to get it down exactly, or just honor the sentiment/vibe/feeling. Not too long ago I completed GF1. Before moving on to GF2, I have a list of about a dozen songs I would like to learn. Right now, I'm working on Driver's Seat by Sniff and the Tears. I started off trying to learn it exactly as I have seen it performed in a couple of instructional youtube videos and I think in a guitar-tab website. However, there's a place in the fairly repetitive chord changes where the guitarist omits a ghost strum, interupting the down up down up down up rhythm which is exactly what I was just told not to do in a GF lesson. Anyhoo, it was very awkward for me to try to do it as he does it, and eventually I just did it as it felt natural to me (with the ghost strum, not interupting my rhythm), and then I started embellishing it further by picking notes from the chords and incorporating other elements that I think captured the essence of the song (as I hear it in my head) but were hardly close to what the guitarist was doing on the track. Often, because recorded songs include bass players, and maybe multiple guitar parts, etc., trying to mimic what the lead (or rhythm) guitarist is doing doesn't sound quite right if you are, like me, just some guy in his house trying to play a pleasing version of a favorite song. He's playing electric, I'm playing acoustic with no accompaniment, etc.

Also, I guess this depends on your experience level, but I'm wondering if other's try to learn a song close to perfectly before moving on to another song or if, like me, they just get it as well as they think they can get it given their current abilities and then move on. Do you work on multiple songs at a time or get one as good as its going to get before moving on?