View post (Do you take liberties (learning new songs)?)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/20/2019 8:14 am

Hi

I'm approaching 7mos in so take that in consideration in my response. If I was skilled at the guitar I might find myself zipping up and down the neck and improvising and embellishing just because I could. But sadly, I can't.

As a student of the guitar I strive to learn what is being taught. That's my goal. At this stage with the songs I am trying to learn I am able to follow along with the exception of the full version of Honkey Tonk which I am finding challenging. So I keep working on it but am not so focused that it's all I do. This would lead to frustration and stagnation.

When I do learn a song and am comfortable with it I will sometimes mix things up. An example would be Wild Horses Made Easy. I still go back and play this from time to time but might change the strum pattern once in a while just for the heck of it.

I should also say here that even on the songs I have learned, there may be sections I struggle with, F chord for example. I just play through. Eventually the parts I am rough on tend to improve.

I do this for personal enjoyment. I'm not getting paid for this

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!