View post (Do you take liberties (learning new songs)?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
06/20/2019 12:44 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalke

Kind of a vague question but I'm wondering how other people here go about learning new songs. Do you try to get it down exactly, or just honor the sentiment/vibe/feeling.

[/quote]

Two sides to this answer and they are 'Yes and No'...cleverly..

In the end, it's about music and enjoying the ability to play music. My opinion, this is first and foremost so you should play to enjoy. If that means you might take liberties, so be it. Play to enjoy. That's the 'no, don't worry too much about getting it down exactly.

However, you are learning to improve your skill and don't want to just start skipping things because you don't like doing them. I've been playing for decades but skipped a nice chunk of theory because I didn't like it. It was why I joined GT years ago. I can play and intuitively knew certain things but realized that as I got older, I sensed I really missed things that would help me even more enjoy playing the instrument. Like I do now. So, 'yes you should learn things even if they're hard.

Just know the line between the two things above. That's the key.

Originally Posted by: dlwalke

Right now, I'm working on Driver's Seat by Sniff and the Tears.

Well Done. It's that song for those of us growing up in the 70's that when you ask someone 'hey remember 'Driver's Seat'?' ...and you get the blank look..until you play it for them.

Now that song will be in my head all day...and I'm ok with that.

[quote=dlwalke]

However, there's a place in the fairly repetitive chord changes where the guitarist omits a ghost strum, interupting the down up down up down up rhythm which is exactly what I was just told not to do in a GF lesson.

See my answer above. Just adding that the goal is to play something and if you do it differently with the same result, cool. Some things like ergonomics (how to hold the guitar etc) should be observed but, we are all different and if you need to execute a riff or melody a little differently, do it. Sure, challenge yourself on stuff if you can and take time learning to do something you right now can't do. You never know if that will help you in the future.

Still, always play to enjoy.