View post (Starting again)

View thread

lgherb
lgherb
07/08/2019 2:00 am

David,

Keep the faith and don't get discouraged.

I am on my 3rd try learning the guitar (which I am resolved to finally get past a 'beginner' stage).

20 years ago, I was living in Denver andn started my 2nd try to learn guitar. About 4 weeks into group lessons back then I was riding my bicycle with a friend and had a bad wipeout that caused me to flip over my handlebars and break my ring finger on my fretting hand.

Unfortunately, the ER did not set my finger 100% correctly and it rotates slightly slightly toward my middle finger. This makes that finger to tend to be further behind the fret than it naturally would be and as a result some chords are challenging and some scales have notes that buzz if I am not careful.

I made the mistake 20 years ago in thinking that I should not pursue learning guitar as a result. I'm ashamed now to admit that I quit.

Don't get dejected.

Luckily, guitar kept tapping me on the shoulder and whispering in my ear in those dream moments before I'd awake to remind me that I had unfinished business.

Always listen to your doctors and your PTs and OTs with regards to your rehab and don't push the limits if you are in pain. Hopefully fingerstyle playing won't be as bad for you as flat picking sounds like it is.

However, keep the flame of love for guitar burning.

The music world is full of great contributors who had to overcome limitations far greater than my twisted finger.

I'd love to read one day about a guy named David who pioneered his own playing style to overcome a physical obstacle thrown his way.