View post (Have fun kids)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
07/09/2019 7:32 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat The Tele image you posted appears to be the Squier Affinity series Jeff. It's a 6 saddle top loading flat plate bridge on a thinner body with a narrower nut and slimmer section all satin neck of flatter radius. Top loading excepted, all good features AFAIC.

[br]I'm no snob, but is that the model you intend to buy as you mentioned "classic Tele"? The Classic Vibe is actually a MIM Tele series Fender do under the Squier branding, along with a Classic Series under the Fender branding, so I wasn't sure whether you were referring to the classic Tele look, Classic, or Classic Vibe, the latter often contracted to just Classic when people are referring to it. They're quite different in many respects, including price. [/quote][p]

[br]The image I posted was of theMIM Player series. It does have the modern bridge (6 seperate saddles). With that said, the classic 3 saddle versus the modern 6 saddle is a matter of the model, really. The 'modern' style bridge is on the $2k Elite series but the classic is on the American Professional Series. and for under a thousand bucks, you get a variety of bridges based on the model (the Vintera as the 3 saddle classic).

[br]Though I see what you're saying on the classic Tele. Mostly looking for the Tele twng and vibe but I do prefer the modern saddle configuration. Not sure I'll even keep the pick-ups but I won't know that until I play it.

[br]Not sure if I'm going to pony up the cash for the American made Tele. If the Player is a fine playing tool, I'll go with that probably.

[br][quote=manXcat] No Gretch or Rick here yet though. Unlikely I'll see ownership of either in this lifetime. Their prices are a bit too steep for this hobbyist. I do OTOH have a persistent hankering to try one of these which I've had for quite some time now, which very much might end up being realised onto a hanger in my studio sometime next year -if they're still available.

[p]

It's funny because Cort used to be that company that imported really inexpensive starter guitars. My recollection is low end stuff. But no more!!

Since the Cort factory grinds out a lot of US brands important models, Cort has gotten very good at make great instruments at an affordable price. Good for them.

I checked out the video you sent and read the review and that guitar looks to be a pretty darned good value. For a Gretsch, part of the 'thing' is the 'Tron-style pick-ups (BroadTron/FilterTron). It gives the Gretsch a clarity and almost a twang the is in the middle of a P90 and a Humbucker. I've found after trying both that I prefer the BroadTron. More twank and honk for my taste.

In the written review of the Cort, it refers to the TV Jones sound. Which is great since that is the desired sound for Gretsch.