View post (Intermediate player looking for starting point)

View thread

jimborazza
jimborazza
07/06/2019 12:49 am

Hey Peeps.

Been playing guitar for over 20 years and been doing the covers circuit solidly during the time so I do have a stack of performance experience, however I’m a lead singer first and foremost and typically just play rhythm.

Thought it time to get serious about learning lead as a way to both delve into the world of soloing but also as a way to expand the flavours of my rhythm playing.

I’d describe my lead guitar ability as knowing the first few positions of the pentatonic and major scales, however my lead typically sounds like i’m just playing scales.

As I play a lot of covers and having difficulty learning things note by note, I’m keen to get my skills into the realm of understanding what keys and scales are used for various songs, and then improvising the lead parts while hitting the key signature parts of the original recording.

sooooooo based on my history and goals, where would peeps recommend that I jump in lesson wise.

ohh yeah, and I’d summarise my style as being a rock musician, however tend to lean towards guitarist that are more blues and funk influenced over shredders.