View post (Barre chord problem)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
07/07/2019 11:14 pm

Hi RM64

Wait until JP149 answers, and I'll give you my take on things which might help you both.

I've only been back at it for 18 months after a 45 year hiatus during which I'd lost all tactile guitar skills and forgotten most everything previously learned in youth. But being retired, and with both the time and temperament to totally immerse myself in all things guitar, I do play a lot, almost every day.

With a previous professional background performing and instructing in high pressure dynamic environments and test flying, both involving introspective analysis and critical objective assessment etc, I apply that to learning guitar where I find it just as applicable and useful.

In any case, it's helped me, as in that time, I'm playing barre chords, any chords really musically in songs now without any issues even in learning a new song that can't be overcome within a few hours practise at most. Currently I play both electric solid bodies and steel stringed acoustics, with differing neck and fingerboard profiles, string spacings which can affect instinctive positioning requiring adaptability as one changes about, and scale lengths, bridge types and gauge strings all of which can affect string tension and frettability, notably speed required in fast tempo songs exacerbated if the action is higher than it should be ref spec. Then there are the applied mental agility factors of anticipation, liftoff timing, and "no mind" which I'll elaborate upon in discussion after JP149 answers. Perhaps my own experience in overcoming obstacles which presented might be of use to you both.

Cheers 😎