View post (C Am Em chords finger placement)

View thread

jgul54
Full Access
jgul54
Full Access
07/23/2019 10:40 pm
Originally Posted by: n.lukiv

Hello, guitarists

I'm starting to learn guitar, and one thing is bothering me. Cannot find explanation or similar question anywhere.

So there are basic chords - Am, Em, C. They teach that finger placement for these chords looks like this:

It seems to me this is much easier when switching between chords: to move from Am to Em you have only to change third finger position and remove first finger, and to move from Em to C you just have to put third finger one fret higher and first finger back as in Am

Is there anything I'm missing? Why don't they teach Em with second and third finger instead first and second?

That's exactly how I normally play Em. Not only is it easier for the transitions you noted above, but you'll be one step ahead of the game when you start to learn barre chords. BTW, I also do the same with G Major (pinky G), D Major, etc.

You'll find that having learned to reserve that pointer finger will come in quite handy for more than a few songs - Sweet Home Alabama (G and D) is one, pick any Ramones (barre) song for another.