View post (My first whinge post)

View thread

Ben Martin
Administrator
Ben Martin
Administrator
08/20/2019 4:37 pm

Hi ManXcat and everyone else on this thread.

First, I'm sorry it has taken so long for us in the GT office to see this and respond! As you have seen we normally are better with our response time on topics like this, but that didn't happen here for some reason.

Let me be completely clear: We love Led Zeppelin! We know they have many awesome songs that aren't currently on Guitar Tricks.

We also love a lot of other great bands whose songs aren't currently taught on Guitar Tricks.

This isn't because we made a choice not to make lessons for their songs, it's because we can't legally offer the lessons.

As many of you know, every song we teach has been legally licensed. This process might sound simple but it is not. For each individual song we need a sign-off and legal agreement with the publishers of the song, the performance rights organizations, the artists, etc. We have a team that is constantly working on getting us the rights for more Led Zeppelin and other bands that we know you all would love. I think this effort shows in how many songs we have compared to other guitar lesson sites.

I realize it is frustrating to request a song in our "Song Request Forum" and not see the song show up a few days later. I wish we could make it work like that, but it's simply not possible if you are being a 100% legal site. That being said, it's helpful when you guys request songs that might be lesser-known but great guitar songs, because often times those are easier to license. It can still take months to get a legal agreement, prepare the instructor, shoot the tutorial, get the transcription, edit the video footage, assemble the tutorial, etc. It's just not possible to fulfill a song request quickly, the way we operate.

As a company we prioritize songs and invest heavily in getting the best material we can. It is very expensive but we consider it worth every penny.

I promise we will keep trying our best to bring you more great songs, and hopefully some Led Zeppelin if we can get the legal rights to do so!