View post (Practice Schedule for beginners)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/10/2019 3:05 pm

I'm a great believer in structured practice and am a consistent user of lesson plans, i.e., a pre-practice list of things to practice and the time devoted to each. The list is a daily one but usually made up in advance for the following week.

I believe this keeps me on track, enhances my improvement and progression, and keeps me from noodling around during a practice session. When I have 10 minutes planned for something it darn well means ten minutes of fingers on strings. It alll makes for a very efficient practice session.

I believe there are practice forms to be had on the web. There certainly are forms that can be adapted to most any daily/hourly activity. But I make and print my own. They are nothing more than a weekly page broken into separate days with room in each to list whatever is scheduled for practice and the time allotted for it.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins