View post (Guitar for kids)

View thread

jmbender21
jmbender21
09/14/2019 12:34 pm

As I am working through the beginner lessons, my kids are becoming increasingly interested in what I'm doing. They are 4 and nearly 7. We've made a couple games out of plucking strings or copying a rhythm and they insist on getting in their "lesson" when I'm done with mine. The problem is my guitar is way too big for them. We have a ukulele that I've set the older one to working on the spider legs drill, but it's not a great instrument. It was a gift a family member picked up at a souvenir shop in Hawaii. So.... what are your recommendations for kids who want to learn? I obviously don't want to drop a ton of cash on something they may not stick with, but I also don't want to set them up for failure with something poor quality (I'm thinking about the telescopes marketed to kids that are absolute garbage. I had one as a kid. When I went on to study science seriously my parents said If we knew you were really interested we would have gotten a better scope!) I've been seeing ads on Facebook for a 3-string Loog that is intended for kids to start with, anybody have any thoughts on learning on 3 strings first?