View post (Bad habits and bad attitude Re beginner)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/17/2019 3:39 pm

IMO, the first consideration is to have fun. If one doesn't find playing guitar enjoyable then... what's the point?

Secondly, know that guitar is not easy. It requires dedication and practice. Lots and lots of practice. In my case, lots and lots and lots of practice. Note my signature block below and this quotation attibuted to Jimi Hendrix; Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded.

Third... there will always be someone better than you and there will always be someone not as good but... understand it is not a competition.

Finally, I strongly recommend the book, [u]Zen Guitar[/u] by Philip Toshio Sudo. It's a quick read and can be had for less than $15 new, six bucks used. It [u]is not[/u] about Zen nor is it a 'how to play' book; it is about personal attitude and approach to guitar. Most find it beneficial and motivational. Here on the GT Forum we've had several discussions about the book and this is far from my first recommendation (do a Forum search). It's the kind of writing that can and should be reread periodically. It's time for me to do just that again.

Good luck and... have fun.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins