View post (Which power chord songs to learn?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
01/06/2020 7:31 pm

Concur with you on wanting The Kinks songs matonanjin2, in particular "You Really Got Me" - original version, not the confused Van Halen cover, and "All Day and All of the Night".

The Kinks songs have been requested a 'zillion' times by myself and others here in just the time I've been a member. OK, so I grant "zillion" might be hyperbole to make the point, but you take it on board?

Never gonna' happen. Same old same old appeasement excuse, but in my considered opinion it's baloney. Other sites manage to secure legal performance rights to teach them. Try harder, or call me a 'didn't come down in the last shower' cynic if you will, but Ockham's Razor makes it quite apparent to me certain bands/songs frequently requested here eg. #2 Led Zeppelin, simply don't target GT's preferred subscriber demographic.

I went elsewhere to learn both, as one currently has to.

Concur that both of songs are a superb intermediate power chord workout, but played accurately per Dave Davies neck aerobics, to the OP IDK I'd consider either of them a preferred true beginner power chord song to learn with all that sliding up and down the neck at their bar & slide timing and overall tempo, especially "You Really Got Me". An "exercise in frustration" or "certainly challenging", I'll leave the choice between semantics to the individual, but they are for those without Dave's at the time sixteen year old's wrists and reflexes IME.

Truly love their driving melody, and can play them both now, but I wouldn't recommend either as beginner power chord songs. As a beginner I'd recommend and go (and did back when) with something easier like a Sabbath riff, E5 at the 12th fret where Tony Iommi plays it e.g. "Paranoid", because tackling something not a bridge too far with success assured builds confidence and is joyous, which in turn drives the cycle of perpetual enthusiasm.