View post (How to find small fills or riffs over chords?)

View thread

bouncee
bouncee
01/31/2020 12:50 am

New here so my first post. Hi you all.

If this don't make any sense just tell me and I will try to be more desrciptive with what I struggle with. As I don't know any musical theory it can be a challenge even to try to describe what I wish to achieve or what I need help and pointers for. Then there is the language barrier as I live in a non-english speaking country so my english is not really that good.

[br]Been playing for a little over a year and there are so much to learn. Not the mention all the theory. Sigh.

[br]So I was told to learn a new song before next practice session and the chord progression is as follows.

[br]Verse is like this

Am - G - C - F - C - F - G

[br]Chorus like this:

Dm - C - G - C – F - Dm - C - G - F

Also, because this song is relativly slow tempo at 98 BPM I feel this could maybe also be a song I could try to put my scale practicing into play. Any solos will be for my pleasure(!) only as I am only rhythm at practice. My understanding so far is that if this song was written with say a C major key signature, I could practice Am pentatonic over the song without too much worry about chord changes. Will that also work for this song? Can I do A minor pentatonic over this song regarding the chord changes or only at the Am chords?

[br]I've been playing only rhythm guitar so far, but I really like this new song and I feel I should find a way to make my part more - I guess interesting. I don't expect anyone to to fix this but I do hope some one can give me ideas to what I can start to look at to venture into putting my stink onto the song. I am really new to this so any pointers will be well recieved and I will do my best to dig into it and try to understand how all this works.

[br]I've have no idea where to start or even what notes to target. But I feel I need to start someday so why not with this song that I do love and make this song a turning point where I can do more with the gutiar then just plain strumming.

[br]I did try both google and youtube but the amount of info is overwhelming so I don't really know where to start or where to stop and for the past week I've been jumping from video to video and sometimes even forgetting why I went to youtube in the first place.