View post (How to find small fills or riffs over chords?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/01/2020 4:26 pm
Originally Posted by: bounceeThx. Really indepth answer.[/quote]

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: bounceeLucky fo me it seems my ears work better then my brain sometimes, so if it sounds bad I can target different notes or try those notes on other chords in the progression.[/quote]

Yes, you need to rely on your ears for sure! But keep in mind that there will be a reason that your ear prefers one note or line instead of another. And that reason is related to the scale degrees. The reason you might like one particular note instead of another, why it seems to match the chord better is because is is a unique scale degree in the scale along with whatever chord is happening at the time in the music.

And this stuff is knowable. :)

But there are 2 separate steps involved here. You have to have the physical skills to play the notes in time. And you have to know which notes you want to use. And you'll find that you have to go back & forth between those 2 steps quite a bit all through the learning process.

You can learn the diatonic minor scale degrees I mentioned here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=445

And then you will be ready for the improv tutorials I mentioned. In particular the beginner one on improv in a minor key will help, because it is in A minor!

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=491

[quote=bouncee]It seems I got plenty to work with here to keep me busy this weekend and far into next week. That chord voicing seems like pure gold for a newbie like me.

Good deal! It really is where the concepts of music start to open up the fretboard and turn patterns into musical ideas.

I love discussing theory & even more, how to apply it! For example, you could take one of the examples of voicings I showed you & turn it into a single note melody line.

Take the example of the chords.

|--5----7----8----8------8----8----10------------------------|[br]|--5----8----8----10----8----10----12-----------------------|[br]|--5----7----9----10----9----10----12-----------------------|[br]|-----------------------------------------------------------------|[br]|-----------------------------------------------------------------|

|-----------------------------------------------------------------|

And then isolate each string as a single note melody line as the chords happen.

The E string

|--5----7----8----8------8----8----10------------------------|[br]|-----------------------------------------------------------------|[br]|-----------------------------------------------------------------|

|-----------------------------------------------------------------|[br]|-----------------------------------------------------------------|

Or the B string.

|--5----8----8----10----8----10----12-----------------------|[br]|-----------------------------------------------------------------|[br]|-----------------------------------------------------------------|[br]|-----------------------------------------------------------------|

Or the G string.

|-----------------------------------------------------------------|[br]|-----------------------------------------------------------------|

|--5----7----9----10----9----10----12-----------------------|[br]|-----------------------------------------------------------------|[br]|-----------------------------------------------------------------|

All of them will work because they are literally notes from the chord progression in the right order as the chords happen.

And then you can get into the improv tutorials & learn how to make whole melodic lines from the scale that target chord tones. :)

[quote=bouncee]Dang what a great start here at the forum and I am happy I signed up @guitartricks.com. What a great rescource. Tons of great videoes and this forum as an added bonus.

Glad you are enjoying it! Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory