View post (Tube amps)

View thread

Slacksixx
Slacksixx
02/07/2020 8:53 am

It helps to know what kind of music you intend to play, what your home situation Is, bedroom, larger space etc and to realize that not all tube amps are equal.

example, I started with a small 15w 12" amp. It was too smal, broke up too early, not the sound I wantedl. I then tried a fender 100w Mustang modeling amp which I still have, it's fantastic although not a true 100 watter. Great for quiet or loud home use, it came with a software interface that included all kinds of modeled Amp presets and a ton of effects which could be tailored.

i then decided to go for a Fender custom vibrolux reverb with 2 10" speakers, 30 watts.

ive never unplugged from that amp in 1.5 years. Great for home use, loud if need be. I'll never go back to a 1x12[br]the benefit of that particular amp is that versatile, takes pedals extremely well without an effects loop and it's two amps in one. Custom side is fender bassman, good meaty clean tone. Vintage side is sparkly, diamond on glass, clean. [br]for my taste, it would be a tube amp because the sound is unique, but that's me. Ultimately only you know what you like.

you will need to learn a few things because tubes do wear out, some are faulty even when new. So if you're prepared to deal with inevitable maintenance ie tube changes & their expense, go for a tube amp.