View post (New to lead guitar and pedals)

View thread

matonanjin2
matonanjin2
02/10/2020 3:04 pm
Originally Posted by: jimlufc
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Good deal. Hope you find a solution you can work with!

Those are great units if you can afford them!

Thats the million dollar question! Need to run it past the wife first and also do some more reading up on them. Struggling to find any info anywhere on the best type of amps to use these with. I've seen people use it as just an effects unit and not use the amp sounds, but wondering if there's anything you can buy that let's you use everything it has to offer.

There are lots of reviews on YT and elsewhere on the Line 6 POD HD 500X which is what I use. Less expensive than the Helix from Line 6.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PODHD500X--line-6-pod-hd500x-guitar-multi-effects-floor-processor

And, yes, you can use everything it has to offer. It has, I think, 22 Amp models and 100's of different effects. But there is somewhat of a learning curve.

I have a nice Fender Blues, Jr. 3 (tube amp)and a handfull of pedals. I keep going back and forth between it and the digital modeller. As you can see from that link it is the same cost as just a few pedals.

If I knew and the beginning what I know now, I don't know that I would have bought the amp. I just would have gone with the POD. But I'm just a music room player and will never go on stage. But I also sat in with a band once at their practice and it's all the lead guitar player uses. He doesn't take an amp anymore and just plugs into the venue's PA.

All the analog purists should be jumping in very soon and pointing out the blasphemy of my ways

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45