View post (New to lead guitar and pedals)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
02/17/2020 9:05 pm
Originally Posted by: jimlufc

Regarding solos, can you buy a boost type pedal to lift the sound for solos.

[p]

Yes.

Lots of high profilers to choose from MXR, TC, Mooer, but you don't have to pay that much to get truly decently constructed and designed one any more. Frequently they are tonal clones of a long established and popular pedals. Regardless of external branding even of the originals on which they are based, nearly all are manufactured in the PRC these days and frequently in the same factory as OEM rebrands. And so decent pedals can be had relatively inexpensively (I prefer the word because "cheap" has taken on a misdirected connotation with those of a certain generation) if you choose to take advantage of that awareness.

[br]Here's my inexpensive booster, a KOKKO mini. No brand boasting rights, but inexpensive, solid construction, does what it says on the box, works a treat.

Format, brand and feature choices abound. Choose from mini, standard or proprietary shaped depending on the fit on your pedalboard and preferred power source.The latter two will ordinarily accomodate an onboard 9v battery whereas the minis are externally powered only, although an 9v battery adapter easy sorts them out to offer similar mains power independent flexibility to the physically larger units.

Anything branded KOKKO or NUX can generally be bought with confidence IMPE. Of around the dozen pedals from those brands I've bought, there's only one I couldn't recommend, and then only if buying under its recent "Twinote" rebadging confusing as it is erroneous descriptive purpose misnomer.