My wife thinks I have officially lost it

JeffS65
JeffS65
02/28/2020 10:27 am
Originally Posted by: manXcat[u]Today[/u], Squier and Epiphone product generally is [u]relative[/u] rubbish compared with Yamaha and Cort [u]at any near equivalent price point[/u], and in many cases considerably more. Fitted OEM hardware, build quality, finish, quality control & price point. [/quote]

True. I think the 'big guys' are trying to play catch up to the other makers that rightfully exploited a gap in the market that Fender and Gibson left with regard to quality and affordable instruments. I mean, really, Gibson was barely holding on to quality control for its premium stuff. Gibson and Fender did it to themselves. Other makers gladly took to that gap and it's better for guitar players that Cort,Yamaha et al did so.

Originally Posted by: manXcatMy Ibanez SG (1974 Japanese manuf. origin) was of [u]exceptionally[/u] high build quality and finish. More importantly, its price permitted me to buy an electric guitar immediately whereas I would have been saving another year or more for a Gibson, yet neither enjoyed nor played it any better.

Pre-lawsuit Ibanez was pretty bold to essentially do what they did in the 70's by making near copies of the original. Good stuff too. That's why they got sued in my opinion. You never saw Hondo getting sued for its Les Paul knock offs. Ibanez got sued because they were too good. I mean, they were essentially stealing Gibson's designs and copying them but did so quite well and in the 70's Gibson was going through a bout of quality issues. It's a recurring theme with them....

[quote=manXcat]I don't really like condecension in anyone, but I do hold in contempt brand and price status snobs who believe in their own mind an expensive instrument is necessary to affect competency or deliver stellar performance from it. Case in point.

Also true. It's funny, I got my red Les Paul as an emotional buy. My first guitar was a 68 Les Paul and I regretted that I ever got rid of it. I loved that guitar. It felt like home. When I played my current Les Paul at the store, it felt like home. I had to have it even though (Gibson quality control, anyone?) it needed a little nut filing to help tuning. It was $500 off the normal price you saw online or in the stores. Even my 'snob' guitar was a deal![br][br]But your point is well taken. It's funny, I have mostly solid Made in America instruments but I did get the import Gretsch and Tele and I grab those as often as any of them (until the new P90 Double Cut...I really love that guitar). Though I realize that the Gretsch is a Fender brand so I guess there's that.

Your brain may be thinking 'how cool to have a Les Paul' but your fingers could care less! ;)

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
03/02/2020 11:37 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65Pre-lawsuit Ibanez was pretty bold to essentially do what they did in the 70's by making near copies of the original. Good stuff too.[/quote]

Different times. No internet information overload nor buying onliine. What was available in stock in the local few and far between music shops was it. I was a naive kid who didn't know what I was buying at the time as I recall. Sometime circa late 1974 I walked in and place my trust entirely in the hands of the store owner. Paraphrased, his sales qualificiation of me and the subsequent conversation went something like this.

"Are you are Fender or Gibson man"? ..."Umm" ..blank no idea expression on my face.

"Do you prefer the sound of Fender ..or Gibson guitars?" ...Thinking for all of a nanosecond ..Paul Kossoff "All Right Now", Tony Iommi "Paranoid", without hesitation "Gibson!" says I emphatically.

"Well have a look at this then" as he guides me to the THE Ibanez SG clone in Cherry Red lying in its own factory hard case showcased against contrasting gold lining. I nearly dropped dead right there and then with guitar lust and image association in my imagination. "These are new, incredible quality, Made in Japan and sound great" . Or, he pointed to the price of the Gibson on the wall. He didn't have to spin any further. A short demo followed by handing it to me maximising all the tactics of arousing buyer excitment and closing me with "buy now!" lust worked a treat. I walked out of the shop with it not having any clue what I had bought really ...other than it was an electric guitar. That said, he had given me good advice, and I was more than delighted with that guitar and the purchase. The lust for that guitar never wore off in the time I owned it.

[quote=JeffS65]I got my red Les Paul as an emotional buy. My first guitar was a 68 Les Paul and I regretted that I ever got rid of it. I loved that guitar. It felt like home.

Like all things nostalgia, on the one hand I kinda' wish I still had that Ibanez SG if for nothing else as a keepsake, but by the same token, I'm glad I don't have it which might tarnish that rose tinted memory with a dose of reality when compared against my current inventory. Either way, it's the past. I'm hell bent on enjoying the present, what's left of it.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.