View post (Memorize tabs or follow along?)

View thread

Frizzy Totay
Frizzy Totay
02/23/2020 4:54 pm

Sort of. I can't recognise a chord by ear, so if someone is playing the progression you've given I'll have no idea what the chords are until I look at the tab. I'm listening for the rhythm etc.

Just as an example take Rick Springfield's Jessie's Girl, which you can find on this site. I already knew that song quite well, but I added it to Spotify and listened to it repeatedly so I could sing the guitar parts. I had no idea how to play any of the song, no idea what chords were being played. Fortunately, the chords are quite simple, so knowing the rhythm meant I was able to learn the song quite quickly once I could remember the progression. When it came to the solo, I had a couple of technical issues to overcome due to my abilities at the time, but again, knowing how it should sound helped me.

This method is completely my preference and I'm sure that instructors will advise differently, especially as I'm avoiding real techniques like counting the beat and reading the notation by relying on memory alone.