View post (Improvisation and modes)

View thread

ethanquar
ethanquar
04/26/2020 11:42 am

Recently my mom signed up for Masterclass and I decided to check out the Tom Morello course using her account. He goes over the minor scale and the 7 positions found on the fretboard. Are all of those aeolian? Or are they all of different modes? Though they all have the same notes, the note they start with varies, so does this imply different modes? If so which position would I know to use depending on the chord changes? Would it be wrong to play dorian over the ii chord? If I played an A minor scale over an A minor progession it would work anywhere, regardless of what the chord is right?

Also, what makes a mode a mode is the spacing between each note and the texture the intervals provide right? What mode you are playing is most obvious when you play the scale in order; but when we solo, we don't play the notes of the scale in order, we hand select them as we are playing to formulate the desired tone; so, what would be the point of soloing with mixolydian when I could just use ionion (both of which have the same notes). If I were playing them in order up and down it would make sense because you can hear a significant difference between the emotive language, but when improvising we don't play up and down.