View post (amp settings tutorial - complete beginner)

View thread

p_p_s
p_p_s
05/14/2020 7:50 am
Originally Posted by: Captain_Crunch

Besides that on each song lesson here you will be told about the gear and settings needed to get close to the record sound... you can google a bit around. I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGVQ84h1JfI

[/quote]

Thank you, I'm pretty sure I did watch that video, but it still didn't answer the most basic questions - like, why do I have 3 volume knobs? ;)

Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

Hi p_p_s. I also have a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and Boss Katana 50 MkII. Take a look here https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/boss-katana. Justin has a whole module dedicated to this amplifier. This is all aimed at beginners like you and me. I am not sure if you have to sign up for Justin's site in order to access this, but if you do it is free and will not spam you or sell your information.

[/quote]

Thanks! Good to know someone else chose the same combination of guitar and combo! I am actually subscribed to JG already (free account), but didn't know about that particular module. I'll watch all those videos, thank you!

[quote=DavesGuitarJourney]

Now, hopefully I won't ruffle any feathers by linking to a "competitor" here. Honestly I think "JG" and "GT" can coexist without really being a threat to each other. I use both and find them both invaluable.

I've started with JG, reached the D and A chords practice, and struggling with those I thought I wanted to see how others are approaching the topic... so, here I am. I do appreciate both sides and approaches, but am worried that trying to follow both courses will only make it harder and more confusing... so, for the moment, I've switched to GT.

[quote=DavesGuitarJourney]

Although I have the same electric guitar and amp as you, I have been learning and playing on an acoustic almost exclusively so far. It does require more finger strength than the electric, but when I plug in the electric I actually have a much harder time playing clean chords and notes. The strings are a little bit closer together so it feels crowded to my fingers. If you are starting out with the electric then you probably will not have that problem though.

Thanks a ton for commenting on this, as I thought I'm the only one! Before buying any gear I watched some videos, and JG was one of those - suggesting that begginers should start with an electric guitar, as it should be easier for various reasons. Now, it's incredibly hard for me to sound a clean A chord - how do I fit all 3 fingers so close to eachother and still not touch any other strings! Still having in mind it's supposed to be easier on electric... After a few seconds (more like 10-15) I am able to play a clean chord, but I have to test each and every string, and have to adjust the fingers almost every time... a bit discouraging, but I"m not giving up ;)

Thanks!