View post (My recordings)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
06/26/2020 12:37 pm
Originally Posted by: Carl King

That's awesome. I'd plug it in through USB and use something like Toontrack / Superior / EZ Drummer. You'll get more realistic sounds that way.

I'll add to Carl and agree with everything he said. electromic drum sounds are dreadful at the when you're looking at more budget friendlly kits (under $1000). I'm about to do the same and get a kit like the Simmons SD600 ($750). Before doing so, I've been researching how to trigger. I already have a number of EZ Drummer packs I've used (here's an example of a short track I used them on..ignore the crappy sounding ride up in the beginning..gives you an idea). I wanted to be sure that I could trigger the drums using EZ Drummer and I can. For me, I get the least processed sound in the pack. The most natural. That way I can mix and EQ for the sound I want. The drums in my sample are not what the original sound was but what I wanted to hear post mix (with some tricks I've learned).

The point being is that you can get a good sounds that is more natural doing what Carl said. I'd suggst starting with EZ Drummer because it is a very good pack and very affordable. For my use, I've got the standard EX Drummer and Ameracana amongst others.

Good luck!