View post (Simple chord progression - where to go next)

View thread

Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
07/04/2020 8:50 pm
Originally Posted by: theMolster

Hi,

I'm working on a song at the mo and I have the verse how I like it. Very simple and looking like it's currently in the key of A.

Verse goes 1 measure Bm, 1measure A, 1 measure E, 1 measure Esus4 (fingerpicked and has a very minor tonality (if that is the right phrase to use)) Lyrics for the verse are already done.

My problem is what to do next for some sort of chorus. Obvious choices seem to be Fsharpm or D but I would like to try something different but don't really have the knowledge (or the ear!) to know what my options are. Any advice would be very very welcome.

Cheers,

theMolster

Hey theMolster!

Since the central purpose of a "song" is a vehicle / container for the lyrics (the meaning, the vocals) -- it's good to let that element dictate the chords. Is your chorus going to need to sound happy, sad? Think of it as a story. Where is it going?

I think this is probably a common problem people get stuck on. If we try to write a song in the order we hear it, it can be tough. We write the verse first and then don't know where to go, when it should be the other way around.

I have a lot of thoughts on this topic, but I'll try to boil it down. In general (there are exceptions) The Chorus is the most important, memorable part of the song. So the most attention, thought, and work should be put into that. The Verses are only there to support it. With that in mind, the verses should be a lot less interesting, a lot less going on, lower energy in any way you can achieve that. Fewer chord changes, and probably a lower melodic range. Fewer intervals. Once that chorus kicks in, you want the fireworks going off, as if it's finally breaking free.

So: what you currently have as your Verse -- if you think it's a solid idea -- might actually work better as your chorus. THEN, work backwards from there. To come up with a verse, you simplify the chorus. If there are 4 chords in your chorus, use just 2 chords in the verse. Strip it down however you can. Fewer instruments, etc.

I think the chord progression you mentioned here [ Bm - A - E ] would be really good as a chorus. Sounds good to me. But the chord you're circling around as the home base is Bm. So I wouldn't really call it the key of A, it's more of B Dorian. Regardless of that, throwing in an F# major chord at the end of it would also help because it would be a dominant / cadence chord leading your ear / expectation to go back to Bm.

I'll post a helpful chart I use for chord progressions in my next reply.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer