View post (Simple chord progression - where to go next)

View thread

theMolster
theMolster
07/06/2020 3:26 pm

Thank-you to all! Really useful and very kind of you all to take the time.

So...I am going to go through the replies:

Carl: really brilliant advice I think, I never thought of it like this. 'It' breaking free is a good way to describe a verse moving to chorus and I get the point about doing things backwards. I'm not so far with learning modes yet which I think Dorian is as I'm still at the early stages of music theory. I'm currently reinforcing my knowledge in GF2 after not so far off 18months/2 years of self-teaching in both guitar, music theory, songwriting (and singing - actually a lot of hard work has gone in, even to get me to this very basic stage).

My approach to songwriting is:

Lyrics (I have no problem with words and have written many lyrics that people seem to like)

Chord progression (this is why I'm here!)

Sing the melody (this is the only way I can get a melody, by singing it. I suppose as you mention, the chords and melody come together but I don't fully understand what you mean by writing a melody. Do you mean on a staff?)

Then, maybe try to add different elements in LogicPro X but this I also find tough.

So, in effect, I write some words, sit with my guitar and play whatever chords come to my mind whilst singing and try to fit the two together. Footnote: I'm also attempting to learn to sing better because even at the tender age of 52, I still like to think I will someday perform my songs somehow, somewhere.

That chart is really useful...are there any lessons on this topic on the site? I've used the chart and will continue to play with it. What do you mean about the minor version being more complicated?

Bill: I really appreciate your time. This is the second time you made a movie for me. Did you get my personal message I sent? It's commendable how you take the time to help and I always find your posts useful! Thanks again.

Faith83: I see your posts often and they are always interesting. And funnily enough, the way it's going at the moment I've sort of gone down the road you suggest. Great advice.

I really would like to get this song to a stage I feel OK with because even picking the chords at the mo and making smooth transitions is hard, let alone the singing! As soon as I think it's OK, I'm gonna open a YouTube account and post a link. Be really great to somehow colloborate on music but I don't think GuitarTricks provides that function.

So...I hope to be in touch with all of you very soon. Greetings and respect from sunny Austria!

theMolster