View post (Just can't switch between chords)

View thread

chrisgallagher230660
chrisgallagher230660
07/21/2020 7:54 am
Originally Posted by: chris512

Play far slower than you want to ultimately play. You are building both strength and precision in two hands and this takes slow, intentional practice. Here's a proven method:

Find the speed where you can currently make the chord changes comfortably. Grab a metronome or use the one in the toolbox on this site to determine what that speed is. Then speed the metronome up by two beats above your comfortable speed and play at that speed until you're starting to feel it. Then turn the metronome down by one beat until you're very comfortable. Then go up two beats and start again. Up 2, down 1 until comfortable. Then up 2 again.

Guitar is hard in the beginning but if you practice slowly and every day you will become comfortable and proficient. The key is to not give up. Also, don't just do this as your only item during practice. You will only get frustrated. Spend ten minutes on this every day then go learn some songs or other techniques for the rest of your practice.

Even the guitar wizards who teach here went through what you are dealing with. We all have (and still do really, every one of us has a current speed limit we are working on). Don't quit, you can do this!

Hi ( another ) Chris ,

This is great advice , I was becoming very fixated and frustrated with the lessons here on guitar tricks. I now take a break every second day and using Youtube etc. Ive started learning the intro riffs to Floyd , Nirvana and more. This has helped me enjoy the learning process and kept me encouraged. It also has (unknowingly) helped muscle memory for my fingers.

Im still playing badly but really enjoying the learning,

Chris.