View post (Elixir strings)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/19/2020 2:31 pm
Originally Posted by: tammielyn.ts

So, local music store 'talked me into' changing my strings from Ernie Ball (light gauge) which i LOVED the sound of to Elixirs. I hate the sound and find them very slippery.[/quote][p]I don't like coated strings either. Some people do. If you don't then go back to Ernie Ball strings!

[quote=tammielyn.ts]you may say to change right back, but the issue initially was the other ones at the 1st 2nd fret on the higher strings B,E were very tight. so hard to press down. I was told through the forum to have them lower action (even the strings were obviously higher than the others) and they said no, can't be adjusted, low as they can be. got to trust them right?

I don't know what kind of guitar you have. But it's almost always possible to lower the action. At least to a playable standard. Unless you have a defective guitar.

If you have an acoustic guitar, then it might be necessary to remove & file down the entire treble side of the bridge. Or, just as often a problem with beginners on acoustic, the nut is installed too high or the slots are not cut deep enough to make good playable action.

But all of this depends on the knowledge & skill (or lack thereof) of the people doing the work. Is there another store in the area? A knowledgeable guitarists you personally know that can advise you?

Can you post pictures? Have you asked the GT tech Steve White?

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=30

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory