View post (Elixir strings)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/21/2020 1:57 am

Thanks for the pics!

Originally Posted by: tammielyn.tsI've got a Yamaha FS800.

...as you see the B and E string they are alot higher than the other strings and it was 'tight' at the 1st/2nd fret and difficult for me to fret.[/quote][p]The action at the nut doesn't look too bad. The action is bad on one of the pics but I don't have a visual reference for where that is on the fretboard.

Originally Posted by: tammielyn.ts

I have posted a pic of the nut for you to see why they said it can't be lowered anymore, and handed my guitar right back to me.

[p]Right, which leads me to think the problem is at the bridge. Can you post a pic of the bridge? And tell me which fret that is in the 3rd pic?

It's possible the strings they installed have more tension & are pulling the neck and, or body up into a bow a bit more than the previous strings. Or the pins in those strings need to be reseated.

If the action was acceptable before then it must have been altered by these new strings or by the restringing process.

And FWIW, it's possible to lower the action by filing the bottom of the bridge down. But that's an extreme solution that doesn't seem to be warranted until you find out why the action was altered so drastically after the restringing.

[quote=tammielyn.ts]I'm from a smaller city in Ontario and music stores aren't an easy find, this place i mentioned is the 'big name' around here., but i certainly will try to seek someone else out.

Got it. But it would be good if we can troubleshoot what is wrong here in the forum so you know what to ask for, or to have corrected.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory