View post (Minor pentatonic position numbering rules?)

View thread

bouncee
bouncee
09/27/2020 7:32 pm

So I get confused when I try to watch videos about soloing and people start talking about ie Bminor pentatonic and the various positions.

I know the root is on the 7 fret of the sixth string, this is named postion 1. There are position 2 as well as 4, 5 and three. Of course I can look up via google a chart each time to see where the various postions are played and what notes to hit. It is the same for me with the other minor pentatonic positions. I can't seem to get them to stick into memory, and next time people talk about position I go blank, except first postion. I know A minor got the root on 5th fret sixth string and so on. But I can't seem to find a way to memorize the various positions.

But I am sure there are some logic in here somewhere. Can someone explain to me what is the reason for the numbering rules? And explain like you are talking to a child, cos I ain't got much grip on the the theory part, and whenever I try to dig into it stuff like this that I can't wrap my brain around or memorize causes a mental break down.

There are so many things to learn, finger placement, shapes, rhythms, strumming, theory not to mention one must learn songs as well to get some mental rewards.

So if B minor pentatonic in postion 1 is a whole step up from A minor, the shape are equal, so should position 2, 3, 4 and so be? So then I can focus on remembering only 5 postions. But in order to get this to stick in my brain I think I need to understand why thepostions have different numbers and what those numbers imply.