View post (Are open chords useful in rock?)

View thread

mattpcollins
Full Access
mattpcollins
Full Access
11/08/2020 11:42 pm

I'm about 3/4 the way through guitar fundementals 2. I'll be glad to get to the barre chord chapter finally! I already have plenty of practice on them so that should go smoothly.

I've been spending way too much time and energy obsessing on the "pinky G" open chord, that is...pinky on high E. It just doesn't work well for me. I can get my ring finger over to the high E string more quickly and accurately. But now the teacher, Lisa McCormick is teaching the open G sus4 chord. You have to use pinky G on that chord. She makes it look easy. But then, she looks to have some pretty meaty fingers. I don't want to use the small hand excuse (especially after I've seen little Asian girls playing Yngwie Malmsteen on a full size guitar), but there is just no flesh to my pinky finger, by the time I curve it on to the high E string, my nail hits the fretboard. If I file it anymore it will bleed.

Another thing, when she teaches these open chords, she always pulls out the acoustic guitar. For all I know her guitar might be easier to fret open chords on than mine. I have a Jackson Dinky superstrat. I bought it because I liked the neon orange color, it has a pointy headstock, and a Floyd Rose. All my favorite guitarists (such as EVH) played with Floyd Roses so I needed one too. BTW when he plays his triads, their partial chords on strings 2 - 4 and they sound great.

What I'm getting at is, I'm giving myself permission to skip the high E string, at least on a G sus4 chord. The rest of the open chords I'm all good on.

My goal in life is not to become a Gordon Lightfoot. My goal is to play hard rocking riffs like Unchained. I also want to become good at two-handed tapping, harmonics, use the whammy bar alot, pick slides...I love all all that fancy stuff.

Edit: It's great they let you edit you post so late. I found a good comprimise for an open G.

-Pinky on high E

-Middle finger on A

-Optional Index finger easily reaches B string for a G sus4

I guess I'm just thinking out loud here.